Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Critique: Mini portfolio design

Except for my final round of copy editing, I just finished up my mini portfolio. Here's a preview of the little booklet I'll have to send to potential employers.

cover

I created these little bird fellows a while ago, and I knew I wanted to use them for one of my personal projects at some point. They represent my personal design style, which is very much still evolving.

table of contents
 
I organized my portfolio by type of work to help differentiate different design approaches. I found corresponding quotes to fit with each section divider to give whoever is looking at it an insight into how my mind works.

Vox intro
I designed an opener for each new section. I wrote a little blurb to explain the reason for the designs in each section, such as audience and the time frame, etc. Employers outside of Columbia might not know too much about Vox, the Missourian and, especially, our capstone projects. These little blurbs will give them some contextual understanding.

design work thumbnails
Although I originally wanted to format my spreads with a blurb on the left page and an example on the right, I eventually decided to put one piece with a blurb on each page. Each spread uses three corresponding colored dots that pull together the colors on both the pages. I stood by my decision to use black pages, but some of my darker colored designs got lost, so I added a .75 pt white border around each image to help them pop.

Can't wait to see everybody else's final portfolios next Wednesday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment